Transport for NSW is installing a number of machine learning cameras. Currently 28 units have been installed across the state with scope to install more than 50.
The Machine Learning project was developed to understand if machine learning and artificial intelligence could be adapted to extract heavy vehicle information from roadside cameras. This new heavy vehicle traffic data will be used to improve Transport for NSW’s understanding of heavy vehicle and freight movement.
These cameras are able to distinguish between heavy vehicle types and classifications. They can also recognise changes in shipping container loads between heavy vehicles moving between port, intermodal and other freight routes. This enables Transport for NSW to identify efficiencies in the supply chain, prioritise investment, and support industry. Machine learning cameras also offer visibility on what heavy vehicles are using the roads and how.
Sheahan Bridge (northbound only), Gundagai
• Foreshore Road, Port Botany, Sydney
• Hexham Bridge (South Bound only), Newcastle
• Stockton Bridge, Newcastle
• Tighes Hill Bridge, Newcastle
• Moorebank Road, Moorebank, Sydney
• Cockfighters Bridge, Wollombi Brook
• Thomas Mitchell Drive, Muswellbrook
• Kamilaroi Highway/Waverley Road Railway Crossing, Werris Creek
• Curlewis Railway Crossing